How should you care for your photo albums?
With proper care and handling, your photo album will last a lifetime and beyond. I recommend the following precautions be taken to maintain the archival quality of your album and to extend the life of your investment:
- Handle album and its pages with care to avoid bending, denting or scratching surfaces.
- When not in use, keep your album in its original storage bag and box.
- Always turn pages by their edges near the center of the book rather than outer edges.
- Store album flat, in a cool, dry location without exposure to direct sunlight or ultraviolet light. Never keep your album in an upright position, unless you have it wedged tightly between heavy book ends or between other books to keep it shut tightly. Storing vertically may weaken the integrity of the spine.
- Dust as needed with a dry cloth. For albums with leather covers, leather cleaner is recommended.
- Avoid touching print surfaces with your fingers and clean with a soft, dry cloth.